Raymond Tibbetts, Ohio


Update: Monday, October 13, 2014 12:22 pm EDT

Raymond Tibbetts was scheduled to be executed at 10 am EDT, on October 15, 2014, at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Mansfield, Ohio. Raymond’s execution has been postponed until March 12, 2015. Fifty-seven-year-old Raymond is convicted of murdering his wife, Judith Sue Crawford and 67-year-old Fred Hicks on November 6, 1997, inside Fred’s Cincinnati home, where they all lived. Raymond has spent the last 16 years of his life on Ohio’s death row.

Raymond’s parents regularly used drugs. He and his siblings were placed in foster care because of their drug use. During high school, Raymond played football until a knee injury forced him to stop. Raymond, at an early age, developed a habit of getting into trouble. He also abused drugs, crack, and Xanax.

Fred Hicks suffered from emphysema, causing him to employee a full-time, live-in caretaker, Judith Crawford. In September or October of 1997, Judith married Raymond Tibbetts, who moved into the house with Judith and Fred.

On November 6, 1997, Fred’s sister came to the house to check on hime. She received no answer when she knocked on the door. She noticed that Fred’s car was not in its usual parking spot and used her spare key to let herself into the house. She found Fred in the upstairs living room, slumped over in a chair. He was covered in blood and still connected to his oxygen tank.Fred had been stabbed several times, with two knifes protruding from his chest, a third from his back, and a fourth broken off in his back. Fred had no defensive wounds.


Judith was found dead on the floor of a third floor bedroom, covered with a sheet. She had also been stabbed several times. In addition, Judith had been severely and brutally beaten. Her head had been cracked open and brain matter was lying next to her. Judith likely tried to fight back. Both had been dead for several hours before they were found.


Tibbetts was stopped later that night, driving Fred’s missing vehicle. Police noted that Tibbetts appeared to be nervous and smelled of intoxicants, however police determined that he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. On November 8, 1997, Tibbetts checked himself into a psychiatric hospital in Kentucky, where he provided a false name and identification. Staff, however recognized him from a previous visit.


Police arrested him later that day. Tibbetts cooperated with the investigators and waived his Miranda rights. The police did not mention the murders during their questioning, however, as they were leaving, Tibbetts asked “Whats the charge, manslaughter?” Testing on the clothing Tibbetts was wearing when he admitted himself to the psychiatric hospital showed blood from himself, Judith, and Fred.


Raymond Tibbetts claims he cannot remember the night of the murders as he was in a drug induced state. Staff at the psychiatric hospital considered Raymond a “drug seeker.”


For more information regarding financial support, please click here.