Gregory Hunt, Alabama


Update: Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Gregory Hunt was scheduled to be executed at 6 pm CDT, on April 16, 2015, at the Holeman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama. His execution has been stayed. Fifty-five-year-old Gregory is convicted of brutally murdering his girlfriend Karen Lane on August 2, 1988, in the apartment of her friend in Cordova, Alabama. Gregory has spent the last 24 years on Alabama’s death row.

Gregory's execution has been stayed due to the Supreme Court of the United States considering the legality of using midazolam as an execution drug. The case has been brought before the Supreme Court by Oklahoma death row inmates after several executions using the drug have not gone according to plan and/or lasted longer than expected.

At trial Gregory alleged that he had a difficult childhood. He was separated from his family and placed in foster care for a time before returning to his mother’s custody. Gregory also became dependent on drugs and alcohol as a youth. He also allegedly was abused by his father and sexually assault during his childhood.

In the beginning of July, Gregory Hunt and Karen Lane began dating. During that time, Karen was living with her friend, and Hunt’s cousin, Tina Gilliland Cook. On August 1, 1988, Hunt made several statements to several different people expressing frustration and anger with Karen. To at least one person, he threatened to kill Karen and claimed he was willing to return to jail.


During the night/early morning of August 1 and August 2, 1988, Hunt made several phone calls, searching for Karen. Around 10:50 pm, on August 1, 1988, the house owned by Karen, but unoccupied at the time, was reported as on fire. One witness stated that they had heard Hunt’s van in the area at the time.


Around 2:00 am, on August 2, 1988, Tina’s neighbor, Mary Turner, heard what sounded like glass breaking. She observed Hunt breaking the window to enter Tina’s apartment. Mary also later saw him exit the apartment, after hearing a door slam. During the time Hunt was in the apartment, Mary heard “peculiar noises,” including what sounded like somebody falling hard on the floor a chair sliding across the floor. Karen’s body was discovered later that day. She had been brutally beaten and sexually assaulted. She died as a result of her extensive injuries.


A bloody palm print and other fingerprints that matched Hunt were found at the scene of the crime. Hunt’s sister also claimed that he confessed to the murder to her. A former cellmate also testified that Hunt had recounted details of the crime to him. Hunt was convicted and sentenced to death on June 19, 1990.


Please pray for peace and healing for the family of Karen Lane. Please pray for strength for the family of Gregory Hunt. Please pray that if Gregory is innocent or lacks the mental competency to be executed, evidence will be presented prior to his execution. Please pray that Gregory may come to find peace through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already found one.



For more information regarding financial support, please click here.