James Dailey, Florida


Updated: Monday November 4, 2019

James Milton Dailey was scheduled to be executed at 6 pm local time on Thursday, November 7, 2019, at the Florida State Prison, near Raiford, Florida.  James' execution has been stayed through December 30, 2019. Seventy-three-year-old James is convicted of the murder of 14-year-old Shelly Elizabeth Boggio. James has been on death row in Florida for the past 32 years.

James was the second of three sons, and born in Spokane, Washington. James moved at least three times in his first seven years, with the family eventually ending up in Manhattan, Kansas, where he spent the rest of his childhood. James was involved in football, tennis, wrestling, and drama during his school years. James parents were also alcoholics, which led to James beginning to drink at the age of 14. While in his first year of college, James’ father died of a heart attack. James dropped out of school and joined the Air Force, serving three tours in Vietnam, which allegedly, led to him becoming an alcoholic and drug addict. His alcohol and drug problem eventually forced him to leave the military, and he was given an honorable discharge. While in the military, James got married and had two kids. He and his wife divorced due to his drug and alcohol problems. After being discharged, James allowed a friend to adopt his two children so they could be taken care of. James held several different jobs after leaving the military.

On May 5, 1985, Shelly Boggio, her twin sister Stacey, and Stephanie Forsythe were picked up by three men as they were hitchhiking near St. Petersburg, Florida. The three girls went the three men - James Dailey, Jack Pearcy, and Dwaine Shaw - to a bar and then to Pearcy’s house, where they met his girlfriend, Gayle Bailey. Stacey and Stephanie then chose to return home.


Shelly went with Dailey, Pearcy, and Bailey to another bar before returning to the Pearcy’s house again. Bailey went to the restroom, and when she emerged, the two men and Shelly were gone. Bailey did not look in the Dailey’s bedroom, however, the car was gone.


Several hours later, during which time Bailey claimed she remained awake, Dailey and Pearcy returned to the house. Dailey was only wearing his pants, which appeared to be wet, and was carrying a bundle.


The following morning, on May 6, 1985, the three men went to a laundromat and told Bailey to pack, as they were leaving for Miami, Florida. Later that morning, Shelly’s nude body was discovered in water. It was later determined that she had drowned, although she had also be stabbed and strangled. It was also believed that she was sexually assaulted, however due to her prolonged exposure to water, no physical evidence was found.


Dailey fled from Florida, eventually reaching California, where he was arrested and extradited back to Florida. Dailey and Pearcy were arrested and charged with her rape and murder. The men were tired separately. During Dailey’s trial, his attorney attempted to show that it was Pearcy who committed the crime. Dailey was unanimously sentenced to death, while Pearcy received a life sentence.


The execution of James Dailey has been stayed through the end of December by US District Judge William Jung.  The stay was granted in order to given James' new attorneys time to review the case and make the necessary filings.  The state of Florida has objected to the stay.


Please pray for the family of Shelly Boggio. Please pray for the strength for the family of James. Please pray that if James is innocent, lacks the competency to be executed, or should not be executed for any other reason, that evidence will be presented prior to his execution. Pleas pray that James may come to find peace through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already.



For more information regarding financial support, please click here.